Followers

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Writing as a healing tool

When I first went to foster care, i had never been to school nor had I any books in my birth home. I did not read until 7 and did not discover my writing talent until after 18.. I had a teacher tell me great things when I was around middleschool age, but I did not know what "a good story teller" was... I thought only James Baldwin, (my favorite), Stein, Hemmingway or Angelou could write for an audience. I did not know until now that anyone can write anything from their imagination or real life and it is up to a reader to decide if it is worth reading, even then no one can tell you how to create. Writing is for everyone, well atleast according to me it is... (yes, I still did not find my spell check yet!).

When was the last time you wrote something for your pleasure? Did you know you could write for fun? Have you ever tried?
Writing is a great healing tool. Don't feel threaten, you are in control and decide what your going to write, and who will see it, if anyone!
When I was younger and angry i turned to writing to release stress and to go into another world that I wanted to create or expel myself from..
I started off writing poetry about how I was feeling that day and then I started writing stories for kids in sunday school and later, screenplays, (which I still have not pitched nor sold)..

If I never sell, so be it, I love writing as a release of energy and creativity, not to eat.
If you find yourself feeling overwhelmed on a rainy day or overexcited, pick up a pen and paper and challenge yourself to write! Note: If you don't write, speak into a tape recorder...amazing sound...
If it's your 1st time writing:

1.keep a note book or journal near you, you never know when you will get the urge to jot something down.
2. write exactly how you feel, angry, happy, sad, unsure..just write, get it all out!
3. If you write what u are feeling everyday for 10 minutes and then later pick  to write about a subject you choose...you are free from blockage because you got it all out with your "careless" writing...
4. You decide if you want to share with a friend/family or keep it for yourself..or if it's that private, shred it!

It's ok to write about how you feel, even if it hurts, once you see it on paper, it won't be so bad anymore, if it was a bad event and if your writing something good, you will see something developing like a story, book or poem!
either way, writing is a great tool to relieve stress and free the mind, (or bring it back, LOL).. the next time you are angry, happy or sad, pick up a pen and just write!!
Did you smile and make someone's day today????
xo Tanya

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are looking for a sibiling that was adopted please leave me a post..maybe we can find our sibilings here..i am looking for baby brother Mark who was adopted to a family of doctors in Elmsford,NY in the 1970's he was born oct 6th 1970/71..reddish hair, freckles..would look like chris brown with age progression..post any thought u may have!!